Here is the completed quilt for a new grand nephew born in December. I really like this one. I like the colors and I did a pretty good job on the quilting and the binding. All materials were from my considerable fabric stash.
This is the top of the baby quilt that I am working on for my niece MIchelle who is expecting a baby boy sometime in December. (Oh…that’s this month!) I used “Baby Makes 3″ pattern. You are supposed to use 3 fabrics. I picked 3 colors (blue, green, and white) and cut pieces from my stash. I found green 2 1/2″ strips already cut and used them for the first border. I had just enough of a dark blue background with some fish to use for the outside border. It took ALOT of piecing for the back. It is now machine quilted. I used a green variegated thread to straight stitch about a 1/4″ away from both sides of the long vertical and horizontal seams. I picked up some tips from a Craftsy class “Creative Quilting with Your Walking Foot” with Jacquie Gering. The first tip is that “It’s a WALKING foot, not a running foot.”
I am working on the binding now.
And yes, I know, the quilt is pictured upside down, but the picture would look more stupid if the ironing board was upside down.
These hemstitched burp cloths are from Ammee and Company. They are 2 layers of flannel with a special stitch around the edge so that you can crochet an edging with thread. The pink one is just 2 rows and the blue one has 3 rows. There is also a receiving blanket to match each burp cloth. I just finished the blue receiving blanket today. I will wash the blue set and package it for my neighbor. She saw me working on the burp cloth & when I showed her the set, she said that she would buy it from me to give as a gift.
I finished knitting the black, maroon, & white afghan for a nephew on Thursday night. Today, I started the slow process of weaving in all the ends while listening to 3 episodes of “Craftypod”. It is an old show & some of the episodes won’t load, but I have enjoyed listening to it while knitting. I may do a single crochet edging in black on the sides. I’ll just have to see after I finish weaving in the ends.
Last week, I started on a baby quilt for a niece who is expecting a boy in December. The top is done with the exception of the second border. I am heading upstairs to work on that now. I am using “Baby Makes 3″ pattern. You are supposed to use 3 fabrics. I picked 3 colors (blue, green, and white) and cut pieces from my stash. I found green 2 1/2” strips already cut and used them for the first border. The back will also be pieced. I think that the batting will be pieced, too. How’s that for working from my stash? Anything produced wholly from my stash makes my husband happy, too. I told him that if I die before he does, my sister gets first dibs on anything in my craft room. That includes the 4 (!) sewing machines and 2 quilt frames.
Lazy Girl Designs (LBD130) Candice pattern. One of my LQS went out of business and I got this pattern for 50% off. It definitely looked easier than a little purse that I had made for a woman at work. The pattern is a booklet with lots of pictures. All the pieces are rotary cut. I took it step by step and it was very doable. The prep work took the longest. I really don’t like fusing interfacing, but once that was done, it was okay. There was a little bit of bulk with the zipper. Most of the fabric was from my stash. Pam did buy one of the lining fabrics. The purple in the first picture is more accurate than the second. (My photography leaves much to be desired.) I will be making this tote again for someone else with some seriously different fabric. This tote probably took 2 weeks of slow stitching on my days off.